Copper cocktail mugs may cause Food Poisoning: Iowa Health Officials

Copper cocktail mugs may cause Food Poisoning: Iowa Health Officials

The increasingly popular copper mugs that are used in trendy cocktails like Moscow Mules may cause food poisoning, Iowa health officials warned on Monday.

Iowa health department’s Alcoholic Beverages Division issued the warning after examining copper’s poisonous nature and the material’s mixing with food.

Issuing the warning, the Alcoholic Beverages Division said, “When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food.”

Health experts stressed liquids having pH levels of below 6.0 should not be served in copper mugs as it may cause copper poisoning, which can cause stomach pains, yellowing of the skin, diarrhea and vomiting.

Foods with pH levels of below 6.0 include wine, vinegar and fruit juices. Cocktails like Moscow Mule, which are broadly served in copper mugs, fall well below this standard.

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration’s Moral Food Code also warns that copper should not be allowed to come into direct contact with foods that have a pH level below 6.0.

Category: 
Location: