Chinese Vlogger Zhang accidentally poisons herself with Agave Plant during livestreaming

Chinese Vlogger Zhang accidentally poisons herself with Agave Plant during livestreaming

Popular Chinese Vlogger Zhang was livestreaming about uses of aloe vera but accidentally poisoned herself as she mistook Agave plant for aloe vera. During the livestream named as ‘Aloe Vera Feast’, Zhang took a bite from Agave plant. Soon after biting from Agave leaf, 26-year old Zhang felt the side effects.

Agave Plant looks slightly similar to aloe vera but it is harmful for human consumption, as per US FDA guidelines. Fermented pulp from Agave plant is used for making tequila. Agave plant pulp contains calcium oxalate crystals, acrid oils, saponins, and other compounds which irritate the human body.

After taking the first bite, Zhang said that she felt numbness inside her mouth. On second bite, she felt the bitter taste of agave plant. She later informed that she felt her throat was on fire.

After the incident, Zhang suffered from rashes and blisters. She had her stomach pumped to remove traces of agave plant.

Aloe vera is generally used in smoothies. Overdose of aloe vera can have laxative effect.

The issue brings focus on many people who claim to offer health advice on internet. In majority of cases, the advice comes from people who aren’t adept in medical sciences. People should exercise caution while watching videos about home remedies and should confirm with different sources before testing DIY techniques.

Category: 
Location: