Georgia woman’s skin ‘melts off’ due to medication error

Georgia woman’s skin ‘melts off’ due to medication error

Wrong dosage of a medication caused a Georgia woman’s body to burn from the inside out; and now the victim wants to ensure that other patients are protected from such medical blunders.

Khaliah Shaw, a 26-year-old resident of Snellville that is around 30 miles northeast of Atlanta, spent more than three weeks in a medically induced coma while her skin gradually peeled off.

The problem started in 2014 when Shaw visited a doctor for getting treatment for depression. She received a prescription for the drug Lamictal, an anti-seizure medication that is used to treat bipolar disorders.

After taking the medication for a couple of weeks, Shaw broke out in blisters and she started feeling as if her whole body was on fire. Eventually, she was diagnosed with a rare skin disorder called Stevens Johnson Syndrome, which is usually caused by an adverse reaction to medication.

She told reporters, “It essentially causes your body to burn from the inside out, and you pretty much just melt. This did not have to happen. This was not just some sort of fluke in my opinion. This happened as a directly (sic) result of somebody’s error.”

Shaw has lost her fingernails, sweat glands, and now she is slowly going blind. She said she decided to share her story to raise awareness regarding the dangers of prescription medication errors.

Location: